My research specialty is "Climate Variability". This research aims to understand how one component of the climate system impacts another (e.g. ocean and atmosphere) and attempts to explain why something happens. It is critical to understand the natural variability of the climate system in order to address climate change due to 'anthropogenic' forcing. I use models, primarily Global Climate Models (GCMs), and observations in my research. One may see some interesting relationship in the observations and then use a model to try to understand the 'mechanism' behind this behavior. The climate is a very complex system and each bit of research we do serves to unravel a small piece of (or sometimes complicate) the climate puzzle.
Professor, Chair of Atmospheric Sciences, Director of NOAA Cooperative Institute for Alaska Research (CIFAR)
Present Research Interests:
- Arctic Tundra Vegetation Changes linked to Climate
- Dynamical Downscaling of Climate Information for Alaska
- Fire Weather in Alaska
- Young-Robertson, J. M., Bolton, W. R., Bhatt, U. S., Cristobal, J., & Thoman, R. “Deciduous trees are a large and overlooked sink for snowmelt water in the boreal forest.” Nature: Scientific Reports, 6 (12 July 2016), 29504. doi: 10.1038/ srep29504.
- Lader, R.T., U.S. Bhatt, J.E. Walsh, T.S. Rupp, and P.A. Bieniek: 2016: Evaluation of Reanalysis Products for Alaska to Facilitate Climate Impact Studies, J. Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 55, 901-922. DOI: 10.1175/JAMC-D-15-0162.1
- Bieniek, P.A., U.S. Bhatt, J.E. Walsh, T.S. Rupp, J. Zhang, J.R. Krieger, and R.T. Lader, 2016: Dynamical downscaling of ERA-Interim temperature and precipitation for Alaska, J. Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 55, 635–654
- Bieniek, P.A., US Bhatt, DA Walker, MK Raynolds, JC Comiso, HE Epstein, JE Pinzon, CJ Tucker, RL Thoman, H Tran, N Mölders, M Steele, J Zhang, and W Ermold, 2015: Climate drivers of changing seasonality of Alaska coastal tundra vegetation productivity, Ea
- Kontar, Y.Y., U.S. Bhatt, S.D. Lindsey, E.W. Plumb, and R.L. Thoman, 2015: Interdisciplinary approach to hydrological hazard mitigation and disaster response and effects of climate change on the occurrence of flood severity in central Alaska, Proceedings
- Bhatt, U.S., D.A. Walker, J.E. Walsh, E.C. Carmack, K.E. Frey, W.N. Meier, S.E. Moore, F.J.W. Parmentier, E. Post, V.E. Romanovsky, and W.R. Simpson, 2014: Implications of Arctic Sea Ice Decline for the Earth System, Annual Review of Environment and Resou
- Bieniek, P.A., J.E. Walsh, R.L. Thoman and U.S. Bhatt, 2014: Using Climate Divisions to Analyze Variations and Trends in Alaska Temperature and Precipitation, J. Climate, 27 (8), 2800-2818
- Polyakov, I.V., U.S. Bhatt, J.E. Walsh, E.P. Abrahamsen, A.V. Pnyushkov, and P.F. Wassmann, 2013: Recent oceanic changes in the Arctic in the context of longer term observations, Ecological Applications 23:1745–1764.
- Basu,S., X. Zhang, I. Polyakov, and U.S. Bhatt, 2013: North American Winter-Spring Storms: Modeling Investigation on Tropical Pacific Sea Surface Temperature Impacts, Geophys. Res. Lett., 40, 5228–5233, doi:10.1002/grl.50990
- Bhatt, U.S., D.A. Walker, M.K. Raynolds, P.A. Bieniek, H.E. Epstein, J.C. Comiso, J.E. Pinzon, C.J. Tucker, and I.V. Polyakov, 2013: Recent Declines in Warming and Arctic Vegetation Greening Trends over Pan-Arctic Tundra, Remote Sensing (Special NDVI3g Is
- Post, E., U.S. Bhatt, C.M. Bitz, J. F. Brodie, T.L. Fulton, M. Hebblewhite, J. Kerby, S.J. Kutz, I. Stirling, and D A. Walker, 2013: Ecological Consequences of Sea Ice Decline, Science, 341, 519-524
- Dammann, D.O., U.S. Bhatt, P.L. Langen, J. Krieger, X. Zhang, 2013: Impact of Daily Arctic Sea Ice Variability in CAM3.0 During Fall and Winter, J. Climate, 26 (6), 1939-1955